Thursday, March 27, 2008

Changing Seats

I am a person who doesn’t like to sit in the same place over an over. I like to try different views or sit on a different side of the room when taking a class or at church. I find it boring to do the same thing over and over. Perhaps it is a carryover from years of teacher assigned seats but actually I think there is an advantage to sitting in different locations.

Different locations provide significant and subtle changes in perspective. The light is different as it the view. Sometimes it’s no better or sometimes even worse but it’s different. In a large space the sound changes depending where you sit and music has a different sound; you notice different things about what is going on or different things about the place such as the architectural features or the furnishings. If it’s a large place that you frequent, such as church or a community event, then you come in contact with different people. Because many people never change location.

People have different reactions to me doing this. Some find it amusing, as they never know where I will pop up, some find it interesting but admit that they couldn’t do it themselves because they always sit in the same place, some find it annoying [sorry] and there are those who just don’t seem to notice, which is fine with me. I really do it for the reasons I have already said above, in fact it I find myself sitting in the same place I will get up and move.

I was speaking with someone about this today and he shared that he once worked on dairy farm and the cows always returned to the same milking station and stall. Have you ever noticed that many people are total creatures of habit? Are you? Going to a meeting, or to church or a local event, many people will sit in the same place over and over. When someone sits where they usually sit then they can actually become unsettled and they sit right next to where they always sit or in more extreme cases, they tell the person that they are in their seat.

Being unsettled is sometimes good. It keeps you aware, it keeps you present and it keeps you from being mistaken for a dairy cow. Try a different seat sometimes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jeff,

I've followed you here from Caleb's blog. So many times I have read your words there over and over..so inspiring and full of friendship and support. Now I will come here as well to witness the beautiful photographs you post and words you display for all of us to breathe in. You are blessed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I read this yesterday, and thought... how true! And not wanting to be a cow going to my usual stall, I tried sitting in different places at work, when I could. More time near the window, less near the computer has to be better, as long as I'm working. As David goes off to work, he reminds me that he'll be in Cotuit, P'town, Wellfleet, Orleans, ... wherever.
For me, speaking like Eeyore, "I'll be in Eastham, as usual". My commute is one mile...which is good sometimes, bad others. There's not enough time to unwind - switch gears. On my best days I'll visit Coast Guard Beach before or after work. Will try to do that more often with the softening weather.
Walking in so much natural, beautiful open space with the sound and smell of the waves does wonders for my outlook.

Happy Spring out there! The sun outside this morning, cold or not,
makes such a difference!
blessings,
janet