Friday, December 5, 2008



Find peace in yourself and thousands will find peace around you.

I wish I could say that this is an original quote from me but it is not. A Google search of the key words brings up several references and the theme is common. This quote was shared by a friend who was musing on ways that we can have an effect on the uncertainty that seems to be in the world today. By finding some peace within yourself, this peace is picked up in varying degrees by those you interact with or meet and it impacts the way they interact with others. I have to periodically be brought back to that philosophy and thought when I begin to feel a little helpless with all that is going on. Fortunately I know people who cycle around though phases like I do and we sometimes help each other become centered again.

So I have added a link here to a site 10 ways to find inner peace.


www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/05/find-inner-peace-in-10-ways

Its nothing really new or astonishing just some basic common sense about maintaining our grounding. I looked at the list and went "ah-hah", I haven't been with nature much lately, I haven't been able to run in a couple of weeks my morning meditation had been disrupted by travel and early meetings, I'm worrying more about the what ifs. So about half the list of 10 I haven't been keeping up, the others I am doing ok with.

This week I have had to do more manager mentoring than I have usually done in a week in more recent times and I am reminded that I really like doing it and I know I am also good at it. I can almost see a level of peace come to the other person when I have worked through an issue or planned something out with them. Though I find it sometimes exhausting because of the intense thought it takes to guide someone and the need to pick words very intentionally to get the message across without triggering defensiveness or them shutting down. At the same time I find it very rewarding and I get a high out of it. In some way I am sharing some and promoting peace with someone else.

7 comments:

melifo said...

Hi Jeff-
It is true that we feed off of each other (both positively and negatively I think). Unfortunately I was unable to connect to the link you posted but you have inspired me to google around on the subject. I think inner peace is such a gift and it can be very gratifying when we are given the opportunity to share it with someone else. I can also say from personal experience that it is sometimes taken for granted until it slips out of reach even if only briefly.
Nice post
Melissa

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

thanks..the link is now fixed

janet said...

Here's another from an unknown author, found on a magnet ...

peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

(I like the misty tree picture, too.)

melifo said...

Wow Jeff
I just read the inner peace link you posted and it really speaks DIRECTLY to me!
Thank You
Melissa

melifo said...

I also really love the photo of the tree

MsGraysea said...

Thank you Jeff for that post. It is particularly meaningful at this time of year when we seem to be forced into "celebrating" and deal with a lot of "shoulds."
Getting back out in nature works so well. Emanating peace will be my goal for today!! Despite all the flurries of confusion.

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the picture of the tree, this is an example of how you look at things. I was sitting in the car waiting to do a school pick-up, it had been raining and the mists drifted around the surrounting mountains. I opened the car window and started to click pictures. What doesn't show here, due to some cropping, are the lights and cars surrounding the school circle where I was.
Just shows what you can see when you filter out some of the obstuctions.