Thursday, April 3, 2008

The currents of Life



There are times when I think I am a stone in the river of time, held in place in the riverbed and supported by those around me. The currents of life wash over, bringing all sorts of interesting things and experiences; bubbling, lapping, slurping around. With time the constant flow smooths my rough edges, wearing me in some spots and leaving me untouched in others but then I am here for the duration. Often the current is smooth and there is peace. But there are times of drought when I feel alone, not connected with others by the current, dry, baking in the sun and feeling stagnant. Occasionally there are times of flood and these engulf me and all that is around, churning, boiling and full of uncertainty; sometimes moving me from my place of security to somewhere I have never known; changing my world as it has been and the support I have counted on. But in my heart I know that the security that I once knew is still around, it is just different and I must adapt to something new, for I must always remember is that the calm and peace will return; it always does. The currents of life are constant, they never end and even rocks must seek some grounding and be centered lest the floods wash us over the falls to a place from which we cannot return.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I found your blog via Caleb's blog. Your posts on his blog are always so comforting to read (even though they're not directed to me, I still benefit from them). We are all grieving so hard here in Wellfleet along with sharyn and the boys(and Sarah too). I just want to thank you for your beautiful posts during this difficult time.
M from Wellfleet