Thursday, June 7, 2012

Reality Check

So...every once in a while life comes up and bites you in the butt and gives you a reality check that puts your issues back in perspective.

Last night I go an email that someone I had volunteered with several years on school drama program died of cancer. He was in his early 50s, someone who was there every weekend and heavily involved. He and his wife were one of those super volunteers and he was also a nice guy, liked by the kids and parents. He was diagnosed last fall with cancer of the esophagus and pancreas.  I have no reason to see him other than in this setting as we live a distance apart and when I saw for a few minutes this spring he was in a wheelchair and was recovering from a lung infection and was a shadow the person I knew.  That was 2 months ago. Many of us who knew him and worked with him are numb.

He has two kids the same ages as mine, the oldest will be a senior in college this year, the youngest just started college.  I can't even imagine what they have been going through or what is going on with them now.

 So a little perspective on my rants and what has been going on with me.  My issues pale in comparison.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. We just lost 2 friends to cancer. One 56 and one 60. All was fine till one day and then they have 3 months to live. Never made it the 3 months. It is a very sad thing to lose your friends...I am sorry for your loss and the loss of your communnity...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks Debbie, I recall you losing friends not that long ago. At we read through the obit on this person we were all floored how young he was, 49. Makes it even more sad for his family.