Friday, March 2, 2012

So it is the end of a work week and I am prepping to head off to the gym for a long run.

This week I joined the legions of folk who have experienced having their hard drive crash. It was as much the event as it was that I was pulling together 4 scholarship applications with the kids that had to be out by overnight mail to get places by the 1st. A dead computer means a printer that has nothing to talk to let alone being to update the essays and attachments. So at 3AM I get the printer hooked up to a laptop and everything assembled to go out the next day. Then spend that past couple of days figuring out what happened. Fortunately I have a data backup from a couple of months ago but at year end with taxes and college apps and financial aid forms, a hell of alot changes in a couple of months.

So having spent the last couple of nights doing diagnosics and getting tips from friends on facebook I am ready to declare it as dead and sending it off to a local repair guy to see what he can retrieve. Fortunately in the meantime, there was a spare old computer my son had that was ready to be recycled that is now back in service. A little slower than the other but it works and I can start to rebuild.

Add to this that it has been a tough work week and snow and ice and I am ready for a nice long run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more madning than having computer troubles. I am assuming you have all the necessary aniti spyware, etc...I have four different thingies on mine and have not had any trouble since my computer guy put them on about 2 years ago. Hope you got your applications off in time as the people accepting them don't give a hoot what problems you are having....debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

You are correct about the applications. Late = reject. I have redundant virus prot/spyware and firewalls so I know it wasn't that. The repair guy says it was mechanical and that was also why I was having difficulty backing up. He is doing a data recovery to see what can be retrived. After 2 weeks of fussing the spare computer is up an running and connected and just waiting for the data recovery to move on to round 2 of scholarship apps.

In the past month the dvd player died, computer died, internet disconnected, camera has been acting up and at work my computer has been doing strange things, which at least I can refer out.

I am tired of electronic issues. They are time eaters and frustrating as hell.

Jeff