Friday, January 13, 2012


We often keep the Christmas tree up through part or most of January. This year, getting it up and decorated so late it seems a shame to not let it hang around for a while.

This year seems to have been the year of the dying Christmas lights. Having started with several strings on the outside tree that were working fine until I strung them, then half of the lengths of 2 long strings just went out. Replacing those with new ones, one of the replacements did the same. No loose bulbs on any and, though I am technically pretty savvy, I don't completely get how the fuses work. Actually I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out beyond reading the small sheet of directions which doesn't include anything about part of the string lighting and part not.

So then I moved on to the inside tree and all the lights were fine when I tested them but then when I had them all strung, the same thing happened. Being so close to Christmas, I found replacements but then the same thing happened to one of the 2 replacements. Not a good Karma year for lights.

A couple of days ago it was brought to my attention that one of the strings at the top had gone dark. Again, no loose plugs or bulbs. And now a second string has died leaving the top third of the tree dark.

So I am thinking that the way this is going, we won't be storing many lights this year as, if this trend continues, in a couple of weeks the entire tree will be dark. I guess it then will be time to take it down and next year shop for a totally new batch of lights. If we make to closer to February, then it will be "burn time" and the tree will move on to it's next incarnation.

2 comments:

peg said...

It is my belief that those lights are made to fail so you have to go buy new ones every couple of years...I recycle the green wires to use as plant ties and toss the bulbs in with the glass. I have bought the new LED ones, but am too old- fashioned to be able to tolerate the purple lights on my Christmas tree (which is still up too ;)...even though it is my favorite color. I have some on my Trumpet Vine trellis and oddly enough I like them outside better than inside. I may even leave them up all year! Arrgghh, I am becoming my grandmother!
Hugs,
Peg

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you of our tree. A fake tree. This was only it's second year. But it was so pretty!! Had a little snow, berries, and pine cones. Had 800 lights - sparkled like a diamond. We loved it....This year...the top lights went out, the middle lights went out and the bottom lights went out. Bob got the top going for 5 days, got the bottom lighs going so we just added lights to the top, and middle...and it stayed lit all through Christmas. Took it all down Dec 30th and took it to the dump after we took off the lights we put on...I will be getting another new tree this December....Damn China....this time it will be from the US or a real one...debbie