Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Nature confusing itself




That early blizzard threw everyone off including nature itself. Followed by unseasonal warming the lettuce continued to grow once the snow was cleared in the garden and the forsythia proceeded to start blooming with the subsequent warm weather, only to be nipped by a deep cold snap. Looking out the window at this bush I at first thought that the leaves had turned yellow only to discover that these were actual flowers. It is hard to believe it is almost December, though I expect that winter will eventually land.

I am reading a book about the great 1938 hurricane that happened in late September and devastated huge areas of Long Island and New England, including large parts of western Mass where I grew up. In an era before "storm teams" and the Weather Channel it is amazing how unprepared and unknowing people were for such an event and how quickly it was bearing down on them. Compared with today, weather forecasting and tracking seems more than and amateur activity. Around where I grew up there are now large dikes surrounding many of the areas that were flooded by the 20 inches of rain that fell in a couple of days and burst the banks of streams and rivers.

As I started this yesterday, I look out on the yard this morning covered with frost and the air has that "cold" look to it and the greenery on the ground is curled up as if to try to warm itself . The wood smoke snakes from the neighbors chimney. But the days then seem to warm up nicely still. A gradual progression to winter, that is until we get another dump of snow and hopefully the snow blower will be back by then.

My weekday running has taken to indoors. Locating a gym with treadmills 10 minutes from work gives me at least some time to sprint there, get a half hour run, jump in the shower and dash back to work. A little tight, but better than nothing and works to stem the stress of the day. I leave the weekends for the longer more relaxed trips.

Christmas season is upon us. The outdoor lights went on yesterday at midnight and unfortunately as I returned home last night, I notice a couple strings aren't working, so a weekend chore for the list. Glad that it is Friday.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find myself missing new england weather...where we are in jaoan, the climate is more mid-atlantic and it doesn't get as cold and snowy as i'm used to...

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Casey, given some of the mountainous shots you've posted and deep snow, I wouldn't have expected to hear this. Though air and winds currents and even slight changes in elevation can make a dramatic difference even over short distances.