Thursday, April 14, 2011

It was 8 years ago this spring when both my parents died within a couple of months of each other. I remember feeling numb for a good amount of time afterward. Going to work, doing what I needed to do and "doing life" but feeling like I was going through the motions. The paperwork and shared responsibility for the dismantling of the remains of two lives served as a distraction, but there was still a hole.


This week the last of the parents, and for my kids- grandparents, died. That hole that I thought had healed and covered over, showed how tentative and thin that cover was and that numbness that had become so familiar, has returned. I was fortunate in that my "in-laws" were good people and not too dissimilar to my own parents, whom I also liked as people and not just parents. It makes the ending all the more difficult.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry for your loss jeff, thoughts from japan...

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks, Casey.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, so sorry for the loss of your parents. I lost my dad in 04 and it's still hard to believe he is gone. We were close. He was my mischief buddy, we pretty much went everywhere together when I was younger and stayed close as I grew older. We sang and whistled together to drive mom crazy ~ just a lot of fun things. I miss doing all that, but find myself doing it with my kids. I feel him near by all the time. It's very hard to get over losing a parent, or both. It does leave a hole. One that will never be filled, except by all our loving memories...debbie

peg said...

I understand completely how those old feelings of loss resurface when one experiences a new sadness. I am sorry that you are going through this too, Jeff. I know that for me, April truly is the cruelest month. But life goes on and so must we too.
I send you thoughts of solace and peace even as I try to find such myself.
With warm regards to you and your family,
Peg

MsGraysea said...

So sorry to hear this, Jeff. These events always seem to take one back and re-open the feelings of loss. I suppose it goes along with the ebb and flow of life but sometimes I hate riding the tides!
May your ride be short, or however long it takes, may it be gentle.

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks Peg and Marcia and all for the warm thoughts.

Jeff