Friday, April 22, 2011

I have written often about a certain running route that I have that runs along fields and the ridge line. It's a 3 or 4 mile loop depending on how far I go out and much of it is not someone's front yard. I have often thought I needed to bring a bag sometime to pick up the trash that has been tossed by the side of the road and in the woods, but I usually remember this when I am already running.

A friend posted on facebook last week that she was doing clean up for earth week and a facebook friend commented yesterday on trash she had seen on the road and this morning I was not going to work and it is Earth Day.



So as it was 37, but sunny, this morning at 7 AM I had my trash bag and work gloves and bright orange jersey and headed out for a run. I figured I'd sprint between trash and still get a workout.

What I quickly discovered after the first half mile was that I was sprinting much shorter distances and bounding in and out of the brush. By mile one my bag was near full and it was getting heavy and the added weight definitely adding to the workout. By mile 2 the bag was stuffed and I was thinking I have to make decisions about what more I could squeeze in before it starts to rip. Then I spotted some plastic and true enough it was a big plastic bag that someone tossed. Now crusted in ice and under leaves, with a little effort it was now available.

On I went, hopping down to the stream to pick up beer cans or tug out a disposable (not) diaper. Both bags were getting filled and heavy and I was running much less and sweating much more. Cars were going by but no one else was out.

As I got to within a half mile of home a guy in a trash truck even pulled along side and offered to take one bag off my hands but I politely declined. If I was going through this effort, I wanted to sort it out and recycle as much as I could.

So, as I neared home I actually had to leave some trash behind, both bags were filled and close to bursting and I still had a major hill to make it up.

After an hour an a half I was done, three times my normal running time but I figure I added much more of a workout in the brush and running with bags and I was beat. I must admit, I must have been a curious sight for cars going by.

In the end I am guessing there is about 30 pounds here. I have hauled so many 40 pound bags of pellets I know the feel. Half of it is recyclable and about 20 cans are returnable.

Later this afternoon as we drove the same route, I had to admire the clean that will probably be unnoticed by most but not by me as I run the route many times again.

Happy Earth day.

3 comments:

janet said...

Happy Earth Day, Jeff. Great job on the cleanup!

Anonymous said...

Hurray for you Jeff!! I commend you on a job well done!! I think someone will notice. I'd like to think your great effort won't go unnoticed. I applaud you for caring and doing such a great job!!! Happy Be-lated Earth Day!! ...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks Janet and Debbie. It really doesn't matter to me if anyone else notices, I do. Out for a run yesterday I now notice how much I missed, seeing it from a different angle. Next time I'll bring several bags and leave them at stages to pick up on the return trip.