Friday, March 4, 2011

Can it be possible that there are more frost heaves out there at this late stage in winter than last year? I feel like the auto equivalent of a rodeo. Could it have been that warm spell that then turned back to bitter cold?

I thought last year was the pits. But then that is because the constant bouncing on the back roads not only successful demolished the springs and finished off the struts on my old car but then proceeded to destroy the new struts that had cost an obscene amount of money on a car that I wasn't planning on keeping more than 6 months more but had no choice but to replace them.

So as I only fill my morning mug half way because I know otherwise the contents will be in my lap by the end of the driveway I also hold my breath every time I do the bouncy bounce for miles on end hoping that this now also aging car won''t meet the same fate.

This too will pass and we'll be left with cracked pavement and a driveway that, if this keeps up will break up on its own without the help of equipment. Hopefully when we are ready to replace it and not before.

Ok......I am ready for spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your roads must be in terrible shape!! I would guess that all the ice and snow take a terrible toll on your road during winter! Will they fix it come spring? Hey! I saw on Good Morning America a very small proto~type flying car. That is what you need!! To fly over the worse parts to you get to a better road. it was adorable. Big enough for 2 ~ barely! What kind of new car were you thinkin' about getting. I bought my Honda Van last summer. I didn't want a van. I like something that has speed, v-8 or Hemi or both, something that is different, and on the tricky side. But...the grand kids...and the old dog who couldn't jump into my Jeep Commander...I was reduced to a blasted Van. Took me a month to get used to it. The gas milage is great however!! I like it now. And wouldn't you know...the grandkids can get themselves in now without any help from me, and I've got a new pup that can jump over the moon...Me and my Granny~Van...ho hum....

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

A flying car would be great or even a hovercraft to get over the heaves that are, with the help of the rain and snow, turning into pot holes.
It is sort of like a derby of types maneuvering around them and the puddles.

Most of the heaves will recede to some extent when it warms but the potholes we all know have only one cure.