Sunday, February 21, 2010

Colds Suck

Something has happened the past several weeks. Blog posts and the time for writing seem sparse and my mind is on the foggy side, which only for the past few weeks can be attributed to a head cold. The rest of it probably is a combination of a major change in the place I usually can write and many things competing for time and mental energy.

I usually get one cold a year. It comes at a time that I am overloaded with things to do and can least afford it or have just passed such a time. [yes I see the cause and effect pattern]. Colds for me often run the same course. I am usually a very good patient with major things but very impatient with the minor such as with colds or back pains or aches. My attitude is enough! lets get on with it and over it. Probably hindered somewhat that I can't really take many of the "cold remedies" without reactions that are worse that the cold. I am in the most annoying of the stages which is the coughing stage. A few days ago you'd think I was ready for a respirator and I can only truly sleep the full night in a mildly sitting up position, which is not easy to do nor that comfortable. So as the sleep gets disrupted so does the healing processes.

It will probably be over or mostly gone in a few days and I expect that when I go to work tomorrow I will be given a wide berth or glares for having spread it, though I am compulsive with the hand sanitizer and coughing in the elbow, but sometimes that is not enough.

So that is my vent about colds.

This weekend we were traveling through upstate New York. Didn't you know that traveling and hotels are good for colds? When ever we venture out that way I am always struck by how much larger the mountains and hills are than in the Berkshires. The Berkshires are hills after all and New York has the Catskills. But the valleys are wider and the passes grander and stunning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cold. lol. Men and colds don't usually go well together. Hopefully, like you say, it will be over soon, just not soon enough. and you know what??? Actually being out in the cold, with your cold IS A GOOG THING. All that nice cold mountain air will open up those sinuses and you'll be able to BREATH! HURRAY!! I ususlly only get one cold a year too. We're pretty healthy around here usually. Take Care!...debbie

Anonymous said...

Did you get much snow in this last onslaught? We got 2 inches Friday and 6 inches today...where is spring??

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Hi Debbie,
We definitely got our share of snow. Many inches last week, then lots of rain then many inches the last couple of days and it continues to snow. Spring is in the air, its just the annual duel of nature that happens this time of year.

My cold is waning though still present. Not so sure my impatience is a guy thing as much as just impatience. My motivation to go out an ski in this wonderful white or go out for a run is held down by the coughing and congestion. But then like the snow it will pass. Just a matter of time.