Sunday, November 29, 2009

Very often when I go out for a run I will see something and say to myself that I should be bringing my camera along. I did this a bit when I first started this blog but then just scheduling a run became a challenge, let alone making sure the camera was charged, and it can get difficult juggling everything. I also take different routes and depending on how much time I have. I may do a couple miles or up to eight miles depending on the time and how I am feeling and carrying anything eight miles is a pain, especially if the memory is full or the battery dies.

But today I had some time, not much, but enough for a 3 mile loop and the camera was charged and the sun was still early in the sky.



I have often described how I live on a hill, not a steep one, but a hill still the same and it is approached only by other hills. This is the downhill as I leave our street. Traffic is dead, the air is clear and its warm enough for shorts and a tee and I am on my way. I am sometimes puffing as I climb my street then turn the corner and can rest a bit on this incline.



The flatter road runs past the middle and high school with it rack of sculls waiting for the return of warmer weather. As schools go this is a smaller one, but then Lenox is a small town and this is relatively new. At this point I've hit a quarter mile and come to the soccer fields. Football is not a Lenox sport, soccer is and there are 3 fields which I sometimes will venture out on and do a few laps around to add distance and there is a neat little drainage pond where I spot frogs and once even a crane.



I've passed this apple tree at all of its seasons. By now the leaves are gone and apples have mostly fallen waiting for some creature to retrieve or become compost under the coming snow.



Along this route there is a lot of water draining and always going somewhere. Behind several houses and deeper in the woods there is this wetland swamp with many dead trees in the middle and surrounding it, but still teeming with life.



Coming up on a clearing, at least on one side of the road, is the ever present ridge line that I have captured and written about many times. This shot is looking back and more to the northeast as the sun is to low and bright for a forward shot.



If you are driving this road there are many things you can miss. This stream flows under the road and on either side it bubbles along and here it gets closer to its end in the river bellow. The absence of leaves gives the depth of the surroundings and it looks so different when cloaked in thick green leaves and brush.




By now I have reached the halfway point, the intersection of 3 roads that aren't really interesting enough to grant blog space for. The golf course on one side is a golf course like so many others with the only unique thing (to me, of course) is the tall grasses on the edge.





Something I have learned is to be alert and always be looking around. Besides being aware of coming cars, a slight trickle sound is enough to lead me through trees to find a beautiful stream or looking up to find this solitary nest high above the street.




or noticing the detail and beauty of what can be seen in the woods when the leaves are gone.



or this mysterious toilet that has just sits there in the woods surrounded by water at the side of the road. Now and in the spring you can see it, but in the summer the leaves are thick and it is totally hidden from view.



or the crow that just landed in the branch above me...... there is always so much to take in.





I rarely take shots of houses and post them here as I don't like to intrude and often they are not that interesting. But I pass this rambling farmhouse every day, sitting back from the road with a carriage house and barn and wooden bird cage on the porch and rope swing and views of the pastures and the ridge below. Its been on the market for over a year now so if you know anyone interested I'll tell you exactly where it is.




With this I am close to returning to home. The camera is filled up so there is nothing much more to show. I approach the hill that I started this post out with only this time looking up. My goal is usually to make it 3/4 of the way up without walking but today I only make it halfway. Its steeper than it looks from that shot.
At the top of the hill I can catch a glimpse of Mt Greylock, one of the highest points in the state and probably 40 miles away. I have yet to be able to capture the beauty of how it looks from here so I'll just tell you about it and when I do, I guarantee it will be here.

So as I top the hill I round the corner and can now cool down on the hill that approaches home. Feeling good but tired and ready for another run tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm all tired out from our run. Enjoyed running and walking beside you today!! Enjoyed all the country photos, the birds nest, the streams, the open field, but mostly I loved the beautiful white farm house for sale! What a beauty! I would love to wander through it. You live in a beautiful area! I admire you for running 3 miles. goodness. I used to run a mile and thought I was pretty sassy! lol now, I don't run anywhere!! lol...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for the comment. My 3 mile run is fairly modest relative to folks I know who do marathons or could do this run in 10 minutes and not break a sweat. But its something and I've come to enjoy it.

The farmhouse is 6 bedroom and 18th century with wrap around porches and a beautifully rehabbed and a newly rebuilt carriage house cottage in the back and on 5 acres. Its on a busier street than I would prefer but then I enjoy living on a dead end street and the $1.5 million price tag a little steep for most.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.