Sunday, November 15, 2009

Have you ever been bored when you have much to do?

Its sort of like having thinking you have nothing to wear when you have a closet and dresser full of clothes or like the comment "there is nothing to eat!" Well I am someone who can usually find something to wear and it is extremely rare that I can't make a more than decent meal with the what is ever around. So why do I get bored s easily when there is so much to do?

I guess like the comments about clothes and food, it really amounts to that I don't like the choices. Do I mop up the water that came in the basement in the downpour of the past few days? Do I venture out to wrestle with the water hose still connected to the house and put it away for the season? Do I clean out the pellet stove? Yeah I will eventually do them all and go to the library, store and post office and clean up around the house and make dinner and when I have I will feel better about checking them off my list but then at the end of the day will probably feel like I haven't done enough. Because what I won't have finished by Sunday will probably be paperwork or process related. Though I tackle that chore several times a week it just never gets smaller. So why is this?

I have come to the conclusion that because Monday through Friday is so programed, so filled scheduled and with things that get so drawn out and complicated that they don't get finished by week end and I work with many interruptions, that when I get to the weekend I feel like I've washed up on shore. About 3-4 hours after getting up on a Saturday I am ready for a nap but there is always too much to do to take time for a nap and finding the time .

There is a clear advantage to having work to do that you can finish and that when you are done you can see the results of your work. On weekends the last thing I want to pick up and work on is something that in the slightest way resembles weekday work. On a Sunday night the piles of paper will probably get whittled a bit but still be there unless there is something important.

So its now a Sunday night. On Friday night I resurrected this half finished post from the draft pile of about a year ago and played with it in my mind as I toiled away. Not really amazing that the same theme still holds true. And I can say that on this Sunday night I haven't yet picked up "projects that seem like M-F work" but my list that I started with is almost complete except for some errands.

So what was on my list this weekend for exciting stuff?
Finish installing a new toilet; pulling apart and breaking up the old one so that it is in manageable pieces to dispose; cleaned the pellet stove (a big clean versus the 5 minute sweep out; planned and made Sat & Sun dinners; packed up and put away the now unused aquarium [ we determined that one 1 inch fish does not need a 20 gallon tank]; sanding down and stripping wallpaper past off a bathroom wall [this is a drawn with first sheet rock dust everywhere and then the washing and washing off all the paste so paint will adhere [I hate this but the people who lived here before absolutely loved wallpaper and slathered it heavily with glue. Then of course there are the regular chores that come with weekend and the shuttling of teens to events.
Pretty ordinary stuff. But its done, or at least most of it is and none of it required me coordinating multiple people on a project, mediating or processing paper.

All in all a good weekend!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
Just want to say thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. I haven't been to yours in quite some time but look forward to catching up on some reading.

Casey