Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day parade in Stockbridge. Starts at on end of Street and ends about a half a mule down the same street. As this area has a regional school district the high school band gets on a bus at 8:30 AM and gets to 4 different town parades of about the same length. By 1:00pm they're done. Definitely small town and one of the charming aspects.

















Mounted on a tree in downtown Stockbridge. I wonder how many people just walk by and never notice it? I sometimes get accused of not paying attention but usually its because I am paying attention to just about everything going on, which can be a little distracting. But I usually don't miss much.






















The view of Monument Mountain from the lawn of Tanglewood (looking south). This past weekend I happened to see this mountain from three different directions. The face of the mountain is white granite which can be seen quite clearly when you are at its base and looking north and at sunrise you can see it looking southeast. One of the prettier views around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, who doesn't love a small town parade!! Enjoyed your pretty photos, esp. of the mountains. Cute face on the tree. I've seen them in cataloges, but that's the first one i've seen for real on a tree! lol ...debbie

janet said...

I remember marching in parades like that in the late 60's through 1970 in Grafton's HS band, with my clarinet. We started way too early in North Grafton, with marching and a ceremony where a wreath was thrown into the river, then to to the center of Grafton marching into the cemetary. Lots of guns firing, then babies crying, then taps played. Lastly we marched in South Grafton, more of the same, then the Veterans' Groups gave us all lunch. Looking back it was fun, but I didn't always think so at the time. Our uniforms were pretty ugly, I cringe at the pictures! The community loved it, though. And band friends were the best.

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

I also have vivid memories of marching in these parades as a tuba player. The uniforms never fit well, [same comment I hear today] the wool pants and jackets were hot. Unlike the small town parades around here, I grew up in a larger town and we usually marched several miles with stops at the various cemeteries and monuments. Like you we got food at the end. The towns here do picnics only for vets.