Friday, May 29, 2009

I have been in this sort of funk the past dew days. Too many things going on, too much to be focused on and a push to be focused.

We realize that as our oldest ends high school and moves on to a new wonderful part of his life that we are mourning the loss of connections that we have had with so many wonderful people and kids the past few years. No matter how we try we can not be as part of this next part of his life as we have been. Not in a clinging overprotective parent way but as being so closely connected with the life of someone you really like as a person and his wonderful friends. That makes me sad. Probably not so often expressed from the dad perspective but I expect I am not alone.

So this picture is of these beautiful irises, taken in the dark. For decades these flowers bloomed in my mom's garden and I also realized that today is the day she died.

Beauty surrounded by darkness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, we know exactly what you are feeling and felt it many years ago. We missed going to Soccer and Track meets, we missed all the kids coming to the house - suddenly it was all quiet. We would look at each other in the evenings and Bob would say, "I hate this" - we would get all teary eyes. It's hard for us parents. It's hard letting them go off on their own to college and hard not having them around. Our kids are 33 and 30 and we still miss going to their school functions - but life progresses...and it's one of those things we have to accept...but not happily!!...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

We have a few more years before the nest is totally empty and I can foresee a similar response from here.
I can see why there are some parents who continue to volunteer with school events after their own kids have graduated.