Sunday, July 20, 2008

Giving Feedback

I had spent some time in the pre-dawn hours this morning working on an entry that had been ruminating around my neurons the past couple of days. It was about the kernels of learning that come from times of challenge. I will refine that passage a bit and perhaps post it later but what has become especially meaningful to me is what brought me the point of being focused on this in as a constructive path.

I have been working on a major project at work; something that has a significant amount of pressure on successfully completing and on an absolutely unreasonably tight timetable. Fortunately my organization is conscious of these points and is grateful for what I able to accomplish. This is unique in many ways and a reason why I work where I do.

Last week I was coaching a colleague on a part of this project that she was being asked to do. New to the organization and familiar with only a narrow aspect, she commented that it was so great that I had an obvious understanding and picture of the full scope of the project and how the various processes should work, even if I didn’t think I did or didn’t know all the nut and bolts.

Obviously it made me feel good in that people who didn’t completely know what I was doing could recognize the talent and work necessary to accomplish it and stepped up and said something. It was different than being recognized for a the task that had been accomplished, it was recognizing the thought that was going in behind it.

We all like feedback and when it is good it make us feel good about ourselves and what we have done and perhaps validates conscious decisions we have made.

But do we always give it to others or do we assume that they already know what we might say or do we assume that others will do it or are we on the shy side when it comes to this and don’t want to bring attention to ourselves. It’s different from when someone does a favor or something good that warrants praise. It’s an acknowledgment of a special thought that goes into an action. Something that often goes unnoticed but shouldn't.

For the past month or so I have been observing myself on this and yes I do notice things, find myself thinking these thoughts but more often than I am now comfortable with, I also was letting the opportunity to comment pass. I have decided that this is not a good thing and it is on my "things to accomplish list".

A few weeks ago a friend was sharing challenges of parenting but also shared an interest one of his kids had developed. It was not a mainstream interest but it was something that was opening up avenues of creativity and contact through the web where his could demonstrate a competency and talent without face to face contact. Given the opportunity to see some of his work I chose to mention something about it when I saw him next. While his shyness was out front I could see something beaming in him as he quietly shared more. This morning I was listening to someone do a reading and at one point between passages he paused for what is a long time, 30 seconds. It was enough time for people to begin to squirm. But that was the purpose, to bring people listening out of their comfort zone for a few seconds. I though at first of letting it go by but then thought that he obviously had put though into his delivery and the impact of silence on meditation and stepped forward to comment on it.

So my mission, and I invite visitors here to this mission, is notice not just when someone does something good or a favor, BUT notice when someone does something that is motivated by a conscious thought of what they are doing with the objective of spreading good in the world or increasing a greater consciousness. Step out of your comfort zone and share with them that you noticed and that you appreciate it.

I know how I have felt when I get it and also how I feel when I share it and it gets more comfortable the more you do and find you are tuning in in a different way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will take you up on this and try to be more mindful and offer these kinds of comments to others more willingly.

Is that a real photo? With the shadows it is stunning.

Steve

janet said...

Hi Jeff-
I like the way you often comment back to your blog commenters. It makes this seem more like a conversation, less like words thrown out into space. Thanks.

I'm having fun with my camera, zooming in for close-ups of my daylilies. They are gorgeous, yet only bloom for one day each, so I'm trying to make them last longer... at least inside my camera. Soon I'll be able to post them, but I'm not quite there yet with the technology.
janet

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks for the comments......yes the picture is real and completely untouched. It was the end of the day so the light played tricks with the camera. When I use the auto-correct I makes it look more like noon. Still pretty and I may use that later.

Hi Janet, I look forward to seeing your shots. Digital is great when you can just delete what doesn't come out well.

Jeff

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

I comment back here because there are visitors / commentors that I don't know or have email addresses for.

Jo said...

I'm sorry I didn't comment more on what a truly good person you are Jeff - you give so much in all aspects, people should tell you more often. Now having read this I will make more of an effort to tell others the good things. Almost like a random act of kindness, only really not so random. Everyone wins.

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

We have a special saying in my family that describes being humbled by a compliment. I starting explaining it in the response then hit the backspace. You know the saying, if it takes too many words to explain it its going to end up being lost. (so just take my word on it)

Jo, thanks for visiting and commenting.

Jeff

Jeff