Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence Day


As July 4th approaches I prefer to think of it as Independence Day rather than just the date.

On that day I celebrate the independent spirit that founded this country and continues in so many different ways. I will also celebrate:

the independence of the human spirit that expresses itself in so many different and glorious and sometimes complicated ways;

the strive for independence of those who are disabled both physically and mentally;

the challenging independence of children and teens who keep us on our toes and keep us from becoming stale and stagnant, let alone old;

the determination for independence by those who are burdened by various sources of adversity;

the courage of seeking independence of identity by those whom western society considers different – gays, transgender, lesbians;

the independence of those who seek and find spiritual sustenance in what ever way they succeed.


In all these ways and many more I celebrate this great Independence Day…….We are bless by the diversity of independence that is around us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As they often do, your words here move me. I will now always think of independence day in a different way than I have in the past.

The picture in a way looks like a flag. Was that planned or is it just something I see?

Marc

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

thanks for the comment, Marc.

Wow you nailed it about the picture. At least from my perspective, it called to me in an impressionistic way and had the feel of a flag waving with all the colors.

Jeff