Saturday, May 10, 2008

What am I thankful for!


I am not always fully aware of the inspirations for this blog and I am still very much of a student of writing. A series of subtle observations and situations has created a spiritual conflict and is challenging something at the core and like dominoes brings into question many other things. For those who are aware of my writing, this isn’t a religious issue but much broader and it is through the skin and senses and soul.

In some areas of my life I am trained to be very thick skinned but when something I have thought has meaning or is beneficial to general good Karma is challenged as being meaningless the delicate house of cards begin to quake.

I thank folks for the generous comments, both here and by email. This is a recalibration of expectations and insights. When we do things that we hope better the world as we know it, either in specific deed or in healing and good thought, the most we can hope for is that we put it all out there and let the wind carry it. In doing so we sometimes make ourselves more vulnerable, but the risk of not doing something is greater than not.

We can never know if it all matters, but there is absolutely no doubt that making the effort and being conscious of the need to make the effort does matter.

* I am thankful for all the good that is out there.
* I am thankful for the bright sun that rose today and made the morning dew sparkle on the grass.
* I am thankful for the masses of genuinely good people out there
* I am thankful for the breeze that makes the leaves outside my window flutter and dance.
* I am thankful if my random thoughts hit a tone with someone, anyone -even if I don’t know it.
* I am thankful if my comments to others do make their day a little easier and lighter and perhaps they pass that lightness on to others.
* I am thankful for the cheerful and insightful comments of others as it makes my day lighter and pauses me to stop and be present.
* I am thankful for family whose love is unrestricted
* I am thankful for people around me who tolerate me singing and dancing and being a little looney at times but know that I also have a serious deep side as well.
* I am thankful for the people who have the jobs of doing things that I am glad I don't have to do
* I am thankful that I work for an organization that is truly thoughtful in its deeds and treatment of people and well as in its words
* I am thankful I work with people who are not just talented but genuine and just chuckle at me talking to myself and doing some off beat things
* I am thankful for the people at work and church and other settings who just smile at me being occasionally neurotic about recycling and just chuckle when I am half submerged in the trash digging out plastics.
* I am thankful for laughter
I am thankful for those who are conscious of and care for the environment
* I am thankful for the family of rabbits that dance around my yard
* I am thankful for those who challenge me intellectually yet keep me from becoming too serious.
* I am so thankful that I live in an area where I last night could see a professional Shakespeare production 5 minutes away and have a good laugh.
* I am thankful for all the people I have met volunteering here and there and for their energy, work, quiet devotion and spirit
* I am thankful for the beauty and peace of the area where I live
* I am thankful for the people who are attuned to the practice of healing prayer and thought and who will help me through this current rough patch.
* I am thankful for so much that I can't list
* I am thankful for life.
* For anyone who is reading this, I am thankful for you,

5 comments:

MsGraysea said...

Jeff,
What a wonderful gratitude list which also serves as a powerful affirmation. Food for thought today and always, as is all your writing and photography.
When I read your blog I am reminded of Rachel Carson and her observation that all those observing the beauty of nature will find healing.
Thank you!

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thank you ....I also find being one with nature to be very therapuetic
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I loved your list and as I was reading it the thought that came to my mind was, at this moment Jeff I am thankfulfull for YOU!

It was interesting to me that you ended your list by writing " For anyone who is reading this, I am thankful for you,...interesting about having the same thought in reverse.

I like your thoughts and I think your a good writer. Thank you! I just rented a house on the Housatonic and was doing a little research, that's how I found you.

It's a shame such beauty and no swimming, no eating the fish...so sad.

The photographs are beautiful. I really enjoyed this site. Thank you!

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Elizabeth, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment and welcome to the Berkshires. I agree that the pollution of the river is a shame. Almost seems like visiting a museum where you can look at the beauty but not touch.

Nature is healing the river, it will just take it tens of thousands of years to do so on its own.

Jeff