Saturday, April 19, 2008

If they didn’t want you to dance in the store then they wouldn’t play the music


When you go into a grocery or other store at different times of the day do you notice that the tempo and type of the music is different? I know someone who was “caught” in the grocery store by a world known singer, who lives locally, while she did a dance spin in the aisle to the music. She thought she was alone but he had just rounded the corner. She laughed (as did he) and she said “If they didn’t want you to dance in the supermarket then they wouldn’t play the music.”

How true this is!

As long back as I can remember I’ve been in tune with the store music, especially when there is less people noise and late night when the music is louder but also when the store is busy and crazy. I find myself humming or sometimes singing the lyrics to the music and doing a few dancing steps as I push the cart or pick things off the shelf. It makes the time go by quicker and quite honestly I don’t even realize that I am doing it. Today in the shoe store I caught myself swinging to the jazz on the speakers and had to smile, and kept on swinging. It is always interesting the reactions you get when someone comes around the corner unexpectedly. Some times they just smile or laugh or are completely stone faced. Then there is the momentary embarrassment of being “caught”, but what the hell. I expect that the people on the store cameras get a chuckle. My kids long got over the embarrassment of me humming and singing and doing the two-step to the “Muscak” and sometimes join in, though I am sometimes reminded that I am doing it in places where I probably shouldn’t be.

It was so reassuring to hear this otherwise subdued person sharing that she also danced to the store music.

We have so many rules about what be should and should not do. Some imposed by others and some imposed by ourselves. To me singing and dancing to the music is like stopping to smell the flowers. It’s an opportunity to connect with your surroundings, and opportunity to step out and do the unexpected, the opportunity to know that you are truly alive.

So...dance to the music...hum and sing along. Life is all about dancing and singing to the music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How blessed we are to be able to actually "hear" the music, dance, and carry on. Musis has, and always will be a great healer in my life.....Jeff, please, don't stop dancing (any step) or singing. Whenever we are constrained and don't act on our musically inclined impulses I believe we "suffer" a little bit. We set things right with the vibration and frequency of music~walk a little taller, breather a little deeper, and take in life as it was meant to be. I am grateful that you move to the music and make this place a sweeter environment to live and grow in....

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the beautiful pictures.

Blessings to you and yours this day,

Melinda