Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Summer seems a jumble. A torn up bathroom is now back together and looking much like it belongs in this century rather than the 60-70s, I even had the opportunity to strip the wallpaper off while it was cleared out and just have to get the last of the glue off and patch and paint. Sound simple and easy, but it is not. The easy stuff is off and what is left at the hard to reach places or where the sheetrock paper came off with the paper. I absolutely hate dealing with wallpaper paste [the paper itself comes off easy] and unfortunately the previous owners of this house absolutely loved wallpaper and were heavy on the paper and paste, making just about any room a chore to redo.

The family room wood floor is in though the moldings and lack of moldings and a rug have the furniture floating in still temporary positions and it echos a bit. 

We had an unusual circumstance of most of the family being off on last Monday so, with lots of maneuvering I also took it off and we spent the day in New York City. It's about a 3 hour jaunt from where we are, and about 90 minutes to the station. We didn't have allot planned, we ended up visiting the UN and walking around that area of the city and then getting some really good Turkish food neat the Turkish UN mission. It was just a day trip and it was good to get out as a family.

So as the people from NYC come to the Berkshires for vacation, we head in their direction-if only for the day.  My oldest is also working on getting an internship in NYC so it also gave a little chance to be come more familiar and comfortable moving around the city.

It is full tourist season here, though from my limited perspective and from my kids, who work in restaurants, it is on the slow side.  The heat slowed things down, now it seems the clouds are doing the same. I don't venture out to the Tanglewood side of town except on weekends so for all I know it could be totally packed.

Vacation for me is still a few weeks away though I may get a day or so here and there. With everyone at home working and me not wanting to get in the way of the workers, the motivation hasn't been there and then there is the navigating around the vacation schedule of people at work who have structured things going on. That week or so I am off will be to lead up to the kids all going off to school and the parents heading into major depression and idleness. Not looking forward to that. As the kids were away for the week earlier in the summer the quiet around the house was not fun. So, I will have to screen posts that come out at that time, or may just keep the very generic and benign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took re-did our master bathroom 2years ago. It had nice pink colonial wallpaper I had put on in 1991 when we had the house built. Getting it off myself was just like you said. The paper came off easy enough but that glue...OMG what a mess. Some places I missed. Would wipe off the paint and clean the wall again. Ugh. We never re-did wood floors, but had carpet ripped up and wood put down. It does get a little cluttered with extra furniture all over the place.

As for the kids leaving. I believe I told you before, we were very lonely and sad. Especially when both kids were gone. The silence was terribly loud. I'd go upstairs and turn on Brien's Rap music just to make some noise. Oh how I hated rap....I hope you have a wonderful vacation. We are going to SC and I can't wait. It's our 7th Annual Happy Time Gang Reunion. There were 7 couples, we all went to high school together. We lost one last April and we were all devastated. This year we are 6, and so excited at seeing each other...have a grea time....debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks for the comment, Debbie. Hope you have a great trip!