Monday, April 16, 2012

wish I had a picture

We were in New York City a few days ago and after a day seeing some sights some of the family of the family wanted to go shopping, but given the option of tagging along through the womens department, I chose to head back to the hotel and go out for a run. We weren't anywhere near central park so my option was running the treadmill in the basement fitness center or to hit the streets. Most who read this blog can guess my choice. I am an outdoors person even in the city. Running through traffic and around the crowded sidewalks was a rush and there was a bike lane that I could share with the occassional bikers.

Compared with my usual routes running in the city is great. It is flat and with the exception of having to stop for lights and the heat, it was easy to get up a fast pace and 5 miles was done pretty quickly. It was much more fun than my workout yesterday of walking up and down the 19 floors to our room. In a small stairwell the back and forth of the landings left me dizzy at the bottom.

But back to the title of this post. While out for my run, I did encounter bikers and the strangest one I encountered was the person texting with 2 hands coming toward me on 6th Avenue. As I approached him I thought it wiser to slip through the crowd on the sidewalk. On my return trip I encountered him again only this time he was one foot from hitting a cab parked on the road side. As he discovered the cab a bit of shock crossed his face followed by sheepeshness as he apologized to the driver. I am sure this wasn't his first crash and won't be his last. And no he wasn't wearing a helmet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your new look, although I'm used to seeing those beautiful mountains. I do like the posting part. A lot easier on the eyes being white and black instead of black and white. Aaaaah, New York City. I think you'll see about anything there!! I saw in an ad about sun glasses with a mini camera built right into the frames. Just what you need the next time your in NY. Then you can share!! Did you get any of the snow? We didn't get any thank goodness. Jeeez! We're a little too far south west for this storm. It's chilly but sunny! Glad you had fun in Fun City!! ...debbie