Sunday, January 29, 2012

I have been back and forth to the blog, posting for a few minutes a picture from the summer and then dashing back to life. I also haven't had much time to read and think about the posts of other blogs I visit either. If I have the time to drop in, I read the words quickly, but my mind is off to doing something else, much as it is beginning to do as I write these few sentences.

Dinner to start getting ready, college financial aid forms to go over one more time to be able to submit them by the deadline. Trying to follow their path of asking for information then seeming to ask for the same information again but in a different way. Am I reporting the stuff twice, is it going to hurt the results?

[three days later] February 1, 2012

I have always said that if I, who deals with financial data in the tens of millions of dollars and reports that are hundreds of pages long, finds these forms bewildering then what do others think. But then I think that because I deal with this stuff so much that I am use to analyzing and perhaps over analyzing it and making it more difficult. Could very well be. But for this year, under the gun to get 3 tax filings and 2-4 financial aid forms done by the 31st of January has been bewildering.

But I met the deadline with a day to spare. I have also been struggling with getting 350 consultant earnings statements out at work, which also had a Jan 31 deadline and which were, for the past 2 years done by someone who worked for me but no longer does. The adrenaline was pumping overtime and boy just reading this makes the tasks seem even more boring than they were.

So the college things are mostly done, I have 2 more to do but have a month to finish and because they had to match for both kids, much of it is done. The first work deadline was met and now I am working on the next part of the step. Downloads of data, cutting and pasting data fields, uploading to access then downloading again then uploading to the various states. It's a mind bender that I find both frustrating and a challenge. But I 'd much rather it be a challenge for someone else.

Plus it took me longer to shake that cold than it usually does. Go figure.

Today I escaped at lunch and did 40 minutes on the treadmill with the settings set for "hills" and felt much better. Much of the excess crap burned away.

It has been in the 60s here. A strange winter it is. My oldest is studying in southern Italy this semester (didn't mention that getting that send off implemented also happened last week) and writes that a foot of snow fell and is continuing to fall.

But I also notice that it is still a little light when I leave work and getting lighter earlier in the morning. But then I look out and see that I still have a one ton pile of pellets and that is a reminder that spring is still a bit off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've sorta wondered what you did for a living, given that you have a lot of Adult Day Care to take care of during the day, amd wondered today if you left me a clue. Are you a CPA?? I'm sitting here throwing down multi-colored Tums. We ate Pizza for dinner. I knew it was a no no. I'm terrible nauseated. Enough of this...So you have 2 in college now huh. We did too. Ours were 2 years apart. I am lucky in that Bob set up college funds the day after they were born and by the time college came we had enough for in-State Schools. Luckily our son managed to get an accidemic and Track schlorships so all we needed to come up with was the missing part, which we had. He went to a private school in WV. Our daughter had no schlorships but the money covered her, so we were ok there too. How wonderful that your son is spending a semester in Italy!!! wow! I'd love to go to Italy, but will probably never get there. At any rate, I'm glad you met all your deadlines and imagine your Feb. ones will be met too. It will hound your mind till you finish...lol...I've noticed that the days are getting longer and I'm sooo happy about that!! I've started doing my 30 min on my eliptical. Started Jan. 2. Wanted to start the 1st but forgot!! I'm sure 30 min sounds piddly to you, but I get off drenched in sweat, gasping for water and a fan. yeah, I'm a wimp alright, but at least I do 30 min!! Yesterday was 67!!! lol imagine that...today was 58. Have a good week Jeff!! ...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Hi Debbie,
No I am not a CPA. Don't have the temperament to do that, though I have had a few CPAs on my staff and fortunately they do. My work in on the business and operations side of a very large social service organization and I have a background in health care operations management.So I do alot a people management, contracting and keeping the business side in link with the service side.

Hope the elliptical is going well. I did 30 minutes on one at the gym last week trying to match my running speed and was a workout.