Monday, October 17, 2011

I have been noticing that except for the last post, which was actually stuck in "draft" status for a few month, my posts have been on the heavier side and my processing some of the craziness and uncertainty around me: A car with a check engine light on and due for inspection that needed repairs at multiple places and also involved arranging for rentals; work has been long and stressful and uncertain; with several community involvements I was also contending with uncertainty and drama and the there is the every day life at home that while nowhere near dramatic, is still hectic. This blog reflected that I was feeling totally "fried".

Recognizing this, on Friday I announced that I was taking today off, the voice mail message was set, the emails would not be answered. Absolutely nothing scheduled in advance and I would get most of my chores done over the weekend and play it by ear.

So that is what I have done. Up at my regular 5:30 there was more time for coffee and reading the on-line papers and a gradual wake-up, an hour and a half for a warm-up and a cool down and a nice 7 mile mile run in the daylight and enjoy the fall colors, some core workouts back home and calmly clearing out some bills with Keith Jarret on in the background and soon off to the post office. A deep tissue massage has been scheduled for 4 and then off to see my youngest whip the other team in a volleyball scrimmage.

The time in the middle giving some space to plan and download podcasts.

Tomorrow is due to be hectic and events that will unfold somewhat uncertain and while one day off doesn't heal months worth of wear, at least I will be in a better frame of mind to be open to what comes along and I also started blocking out some days on the calendar and publishing them on the work calendar as "out".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU JEFF!!!! So glad to hear that. You do remind me of Bob sometimes with your work. He is taking off some Fridays nowdays and he is happier. Sometimes a half day on Friday. Your photos were pretty. Nothing beats a hillside full of colored trees to make you enjoy Mother Nature!! ...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks Debbie. Thew England colors are have been muted this year. Lots of rain and not the right temperature combinations.