Friday, August 5, 2011

I was out in the yard walking around checking out the flowers and the garden. Some of the flowers are starting to have that late summer look to them. But the sunflowers are in full bloom and these white things (you can tell who isn't the flower person) are bright and fragrant. [I have since been told they are phlox]

What caught my eye was this tiny humming bird darting around this flower, stopping long enough to sip from on bloom and then on to the next. Very methodically it danced from bloom to bloom, though the order looked random, it probably wasn't.




It was about an inch long and didn't get too disturbed as I moved to within a few fee of it. Then off it flew up over the trees.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Jeff - that's a hummingbird moth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroglossum_stellatarum) - it is actually an insect and they LOVE Phlox. I wait for them to arrive every summer - they are one of my favorites and one of the reasons my garden is full of phlox - pink and white.

janet said...

Hi Jeff, I was about to say the same thing. I've only seen a hummingbird moth once, and I could 't believe my eyes. Great pictures! Ours was visiting a pot of lantana on our deck. I think your phlox is called David phlox... the reason we planted it!
Janet
(& David)

Anonymous said...

Love your pretty flowers! and I too was going to say it was a moth. I've seen several around here over the past years. Your photos of him/she are really great!
Are you beginning to see signs of fall yet? We are here in WV...debbie

Anonymous said...

Love your pretty flowers! and I too was going to say it was a moth. I've seen several around here over the past years. Your photos of him/she are really great!
Are you beginning to see signs of fall yet? We are here in WV...debbie