Friday, March 25, 2011

The last few days have been a techie hell. I have five email accounts plus the one for work and had problems with all of them this week. My ipod, which can retieve mail from all of them, also decided not to work with any of them and one account is sending responses back saying "user doesn't exist".

So, you ask, why the hell so many emails accounts? Actually I have more than that but those are dormant. I use email accounts to sort out the different parts of my life. This blog has it's own, there is the order online one, then there is the home one, and then there is the every day one and the spare. And there is the one that ties in some of my volunteer work.

For some this is too much technology and too much confusion but my ipod can handle at least a half dozen and I can fling the emails back and forth between accounts and send attachments to my Ipod that I can read in meetings in the office and out. It's great until they all go fluey. Usually it is only one at a time and having all of them go haywire is a painful aboration.

It seems like when each of the mail systems goes through an upgrade to "improve reliabiliy and service" it ends up with service being knocked off or interupted and at least for a time, becoming totally unreliable-thus the reason I have the spare. Now it is the spare that has completely stopped working and is sending evil "non-exist " messages and guesss what, it just got a major upgrade and product enhancement....Not.

I have always thought that technology can be wonderful or totally suck. There are times when I would like the option of picking up the phone or doing an online chat rather than file a "ticket" and get the auto response, though at least that is better than hearing nothing at all. So I have filed multiple support tickets, deleted all the accounts off my IPOD and reinstalled them only to have 200 previouly read and filed emails come back through as unread and I openned up a new spare to the spare account, because when I don't hear anything I have doubts about whether I'll ever get the full use back. I'm a glutton with a short attention span.

And then there are the techy problems at work that fortunately there are techs to support but getting them to make things a priority can be a challenge. I feel a twinge of guilt when I rank my problem higher than someone elses and get more immediate attention but I rarely do it so my credibility in that area is fairly high.

I know the full moon has long past but perhaps there is some other phenomenom that is happening that is causing this techy hell. If so I look forward to the normal hum of consistent data coming in without a fight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean about technology...i try to take advantage of it as much as possible without relying on it too much or becoming dependent on it, but sometimes that's a slippery slope...good luck getting all of your email accounts back in order!

Anonymous said...

OMG Jeff!! I think it's time to simplify your life my friend!!...debbie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Hey Casey, thanks for commenting.
All but one account is back and functioning and connecting to my Ipod, which is the icing. I haven't gone the Ipad route yet, which I recall you just got.

I can now send emails from the last one but it bounces back anything sent to it, in in the worst I be sending out emails referring people to a new account.

Debbie, actually these things do simplify life for me. My wife on the other hand would completely agree with you.

Not an always organized person, and with a mind that jumps from one thing to another rather quickly, I like to use technology to keep things categorized and structured. It also helps me keep different parts of my life separate and manageable. Though I do admit it does sometimes feed my hyperactivity especially after many cups of coffee. :D