Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I haven't updated my reading list in quite a while. I continue to rack up the audio-books and podcasts on my daily commute as well as the supply from the library but often just forget to add them here and right now I am just not in the mood.

My reading can be somewhat eclectic and I wonder sometimes what impressions it gives off. Not that I will change my choices based on someone's opinion but it also makes me think of my non- verbal responses and impression to what someone else is reading.

Over the summer I was re-reading the last Harry Potter book in anticipation of the movie coming out in the fall. I had it with me at the beach when I accompanied my son fishing and got this confused look from a guy my age who, while curious about what I was reading, but wasn't sure how to respond to what I was. It was more confused than anything and I found that fascinating.

I just finished up an autobiography by Benjamin Franklin and a hardcover book on the designs and building of bridges. I have a book of CS Lewis stories that I am going to start and a book on the Evangelism subculture in America and I am also listening to the Diana Chronicles (yes the royal one) in the car. Sprinkled with a couple of podcasts on the last emperor of Ethiopia and the Origin of Money, and several round it out. Surely the Diana book, by Tina Brown, is light and gives my mind a break and and the others take a little more brain power. Perhaps I am tarnishing my "Man Card" by some of these, as I expect was the case with the Harry Potter book, but I find the poltics and human dynamics facinating and with Harry Potter, its a well written story .

I guess I would continue to confuse some who observeand who have the time to peg people in categories.......but I am someone you'd want on your team in a trivia game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! you certainly are diverse in your readings. I've only read the first book of Harry Potter. I thought it was great! I'm clearly not as diverse in my readings as you are. You read like my sister. She reads all kinds of books. I stick to animal stories, murder mysteries, mostly non-fiction. I love a good humerous story! Have not read many autobiography. I just can't get into them. Perhaps I don't pick the right ones. I do like to read about American Indians and Rocks. (dad was a geologist) He got me started early. When young he would point out the different rock formations and what and how they were made. When I became older I would get books on rock formations. I'm sure I'd qet quirky looks from that too! lol I do love to read. My daughter gave me a Nook Book for Mother's Day last year and I LOVE IT!!! It's interesting to talk to someone who is well read! You always learn SOMETHING from them!!...debbie