Tuesday, July 20, 2010



I was blog wandering a little while ago and came back to a blog I hadn't visited in quite a while and the writer's self discussion was about the expression or lack of expression of creative talent.

This is one of those one sided discussions I have had many times with myself, so I can appreciate it.

If you know people who have a very clear creative identity or focus it can be intimidating to those of us who dabble or lack the confidence and time to explore. I happen to know several people who have such talent and it makes me less likely to be "out there" exploring my artsy side or at least publicizing it. It is not anything that they do, its all about me "not measuring up".

I think I am like many who wish they could find the vehicle that appeals to the masses and provides some positive reinforcement to continue. Do we all wish we could be a Monet'?

It is much easier for someone who is called an artist to be one than it is someone who is viewed as not, to be one.

This blog serves somewhat of an outlet for my creative side. The pictures, the words, the layout. It is somewhat anonymous to all but a handful of people who have "found" me. It speaks to a very different "me" than the person many people know me in a very calm, measured , analytical work role, though as Debbie pointed out a while ago this blog does draw on the serious side of me.

Though I carry a clown nose around in my day bag (yes I really do have a red nose in my bag) and am know by those close to me to have an unpredictable zany side, that doesn't often come across through artful expression. Why is that?

I can be very creative in my professional work,and though it can consume enormous amounts of time, it is often viewed with connectedness to the main part of my job, though it really isn't and I again am confined back in my "box".

People often see the person in the role they are familiar with , who may be creative and assume it must be connected to his job, and not that this is a very creative individual both inside and outside of the "job box".

When we had someone over for dinner a while back, my wife happened to use some pottery pieces I made and mentioned that I had. There was amazement, as I didn't seem the type though I'd done it for several years. I also draw and am a creative cook both of which also seem to be out of character

So like this fellow blogger, I continue not only to find ways to be creative but how to be out there and be creative and be invited to do things requiring creativity and not just viewed from the confines of this box.




2 comments:

peg said...

Jeff,
I just had occasion on the Cape to breakfast with Sharyn and Janet (sorry you were not there for the campfire!) We were talking about from where what we write in our respective blogs comes , and Sharyn and I agreed that it is a part of us that we are only comfortable with in writing. There is such a comfortable anonymity in our online journals, and as much as it is comforting to see a response from someone who has stumbled upon my blog, which is usually overflowing with inner turmoil, it also matters very little to me that the whole world is not reading my posts. I believe that if anyone is meant to find me they will.
Your way with language is an art in itself, Jeff. Your comments to me have resonated like poetry, both mindful and lyrical. That is a rare talent, and your gift.
As always, with hope for peace,
peg (from PA)

Anonymous said...

Aaaah Hah!!! Somehow I knew you were a little silly when you once let us into your humerous side! I had a feeling the kooky you just hadn't made it's way to the surface yet. I'm just the opposite. I am kooky all the time but have a serious, emotional and caring side that I don't think I let out often. Now...here is what I would like to see in your future posts: You like to cook right?! You said you did. So here is your challange. Make a delightful dinner for your ever so sweet wife and family...take pictures and tell us what it is and how great it was! There you go...outside the box completely!...whaddya' say Sir Jeff-in the Berkshires??!! ...debbie