Thursday, May 6, 2010

A storm moving in over the lake. The wind blowing through the hills making the sound of the waves on the shore of the ocean. It feels so much like summer though it is definitely still spring. Frost warnings last week and then up to the 90s.



So that was the weather report....... How often when we aren't sure how to start a conversation, we talk about the weather. It's common to us all, non controversial and if you live in a climate such as I do, it is always changing and sometimes less predictable from one town to the next.

Its been a busy time but not. The family is back together for the summer and I find much inner joy and comfort in that. While my son was away at college there was this solar powered light that I had placed far back in the yard next to the fire pit that he often used in the evening alone or with friends. I had no reason to place it there last year other than being curious about how it worked and whether it would work. Though very small and dim, I could see this light in the distance from my bedroom as I went to bed and if I woke in the night. The light in the distance became "him" far away, yet close and I felt comforted seeing glimpses of it, a connection that kept him close in my heart.

Interesting, that since he has been back the light doesn't seem to be working any more. Perhaps the bulb is burned out or its that the light is now on inside.

When it gets very busy and somewhat crazy and I feel like there are so many issues and needs and demands and when I feel stuck and my mind feels like it is on overload and ready to explode, it is the simple things I gravitate to, such as that light in the distance. Though symbolic, it is about what is important and about who is important. So though the car may not be able to be replaced as soon as I might like or some demands and wants of others not be able to be met and yeah I will feel guilty if I feel I have let someone down (though probably not really to anyone but me) and some things may settle out fine as they often do; it is things like the light in the far back of the yard that reminds me of what is really and truly important and keep me grounded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved your post. I completely understand and feel what you are feeling about the light in the far part of your yard. To me, it's going out would be a sign that all is good. He is home. You don't need the light because he is home. Something really neat happened to us the other day. Similar. We put my daughters house on the market because the bus wouldn't take her daughter to the Day Care where she's been going to for 4 years. We decided to sell her house and find one near us where she could be dropped off here after school. It is the same school where her mom went. We were lucky to find a house within a block of the school and less than 3/10th of a mile from us. The day we moved her in here with us, we were all standing in the entrance hall and we heard a ticking. Then a clock striking. We all stopped talking and stared at the clock on a small table in the hall that has been silent for 8 years. We stood absolutely still and then in our amazement all started talking about the clock at the same time...I think it started up to let us know Kelly & Madison were home and things would work out and not to worry. It is still ticking and chimming...I think your light is the same thing. It's just letting us know our kids are safe, and at home and things are good. Isn't life a wonder sometimes. You gotta love it. Have a wonderful summer with your kiddos....debbie PS...I'll let you know if it stops when she moves into her house.