Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meet Paul



For Father's day I received a somewhat unusual and wonderful gift from my kids. It's a beta fish that I have named "Paul". I find that it's not only me but the entire family that have become attached. No there is nothing symbolic about the name. It is something that came to me with unusual clarity and certainty. So perhaps he was a Paul in a previous life.

Paul was originally given for me to take to work for company and to keep me amused. He started off on the kitchen table and needed to "stay around" a few days to make sure that he was ok and for our resident fish expert to keep an eye on the transition. Then Paul seemed like he might be developing dropsy, which kept him around a while longer. It ended up being that Day was just over feeding and the "swelling" was undigested food. So I curbed it a little and it all became fine.

Days turned into weeks and weeks into a month and everyone has come to accept that Paul will probably be a permanent resident of the kitchen table, moved seasonally to make room for the advent wreath or other special things, but then return.

Its fun to see that we all check in with Paul, though I am the feeded and bowl cleaner. He is company when we eat our individual breakfasts and lunch and there for the family dinner. He's even been intrduced to visiting friends as. "and this is my Dad's fish Paul".

The lighter side of life has to make you smile..............