Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good People

I was taking a short run late this afternoon on the Cape Cod bike trail [wow a run without hills] listening to the radio on my MP3 player. As I held the player I looked at my phone number written on a label and thought of Mary, someone I have never met and only talked to on the phone once, but who reassured me of the goodness that is out there in many people we do not know.

Several months ago I was using my mp3 in the car, as the radio had died. I was rushing from work to get to a meeting on a volunteer committee a church and tossed the player in my pocket as I juggled papers and cell phone and calendar and keys and as usual I was late.

On my way home I realized I couldn't find my MP3. It wasn't in my pocket or in the car, it was no where to be found. I was bummed as without this my daily commute was now without music or radio. I had turned my phone off for the meeting but when I turned it on there was a message from home. Someone had just called and said that she Had found something personal [wouldn't say what] and asked if she could identify it. My wife had forgotten that I was in town for a meeting and could not figure out what it could be but took the person's name and number down. Of course when I heard the message I knew immediately what it was and knew it was the sticker on the side that gave her the number to call though I was suddenly suspicious if why she didn't just say what it was. What was the deal.

The next morning I called Mary and told her I understood she may have found my mp3 and described it in every detail. She confirmed she had found it where I thought I had lost it and apologized for being so cryptic. She explained that she thought it was a phone or pda with personal information and wasn't sure if the label was my phone number or one I had just written that was someone else and didn't want to give it away without being sure. I was suspecting something sinister and she was watching out form me, someone she didn't even know. I arranged for my wife to pick it up from her later that day. She didn't want any reward she just wanted to make sure it got back to the right person. There are so many very decent people out there just doing the right thing the kind thing and it is just the way they are.

We are bombarded in the news by all that is wrong and all the dishonest and unscruplulos people there are out there and then there is my story of Mary to remind that it are the many many people who don't make the news who are the people that have the most impact.

4 comments:

janet said...

Hi Jeff,
The goodness is contagious.
Glad your family is enjoying some on-Cape time. The biketrails aren't too busy in April, but large
groups of young folks biked through here yesterday. Did you notice the new granite mile markers?...at least that's what I think they are. #18 isn't too far from us. My vacation is over, it's back to work today. What a beauty this mornin'.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I believe that there are actually more honest people out there than we know, it's just that none of the good stories, like yours ever get told. I bet there are many of us in Blogland that can tell of a similar story. I know I can. Good stories don't make the headlines very often. Thanks for sharing your story it was really enjoyable...debbie

melifo said...

Hi Jeff,
I hope you're enjoying your time here on the Cape. I always enjoy hearing about the good in people. Thank you for sharing that.
Some other spots you may consider running (if you are still here) would be Ocean View Drive -a nice morning/sunrise run- runs from Newcomb to Lecounts (7 miles round trip but you can start at any beach along the way and run to the next and back), Chequesset Neck rd- best at sunset- nice views of the harbor and bayside (5 miles from the pier and back), and High Toss (dirt road) - a favorite of mine 1.5 miles or if turn left at the T then 3.8 rt. Hope it was OK to offer you unsolicited running route suggestions, but I really appreciate all the help you have given us with navigating and exploring you're beautiful corner of the world.
I really enjoyed spending time in the Berkshires last week. Thank you for the hiking suggestions. I spent a lot of time on the top of Monument Mountain. It was beautiful up there.
This coming week I'm off to the Northeast Kingdom in VT. Then it's back home in time to begin the summer work routine.
Enjoy!

~ Melissa

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melissa for the suggestions, they are always welcome. I should probably ask for more "insiders' suggestions when we visit the cape. Our visit was cut short this time so I will keep these in mind for a future trip.
Jeff