Friday, January 23, 2009

Adjustng

So where have I been? The blog sits waiting for attention. Waiting for a picture or two. Life has kind of just taken on a running of day into day.

I am adjusting. Adjusting to not being able to get Internet access accept when everyone is asleep and then feeling tired and unmotivated.

Adjusting to switching from my neat little car with cruise control, sunroof and great sound to the 10 year old "other car" in an attempt to not kill the good car with my 500 mile a week commute. The silver car, as we call it, is basic transportation. The radio and CD no longer work so sound comes from hooking the mp3 player through a little device in the cassette player for radio and tunes and hooking up a portable CD player to listen to books. With each bump of the road (10 year old shocks) the CD skips and pauses and I juggle the thing to find a place where it won't bounce. Wires coming from the cassette and charger, needing to remember to turn off the mp3 and charge it. It is so much more complicated and complex. But I will adjust.

Adjusting to having 5 new staff people just outside my office (having just relocated them from another office). Learning the dynamics of this group, helping them fit in with the larger group, trying to find the balance between them being very rigid and linear, me being not linear at all and very flexible but not wanting to be vulnerable of being taken advantage of or set up. I supervise the manager of this group but what I am finding and had heard is that when the staff don't like what their manager has told them or want to bend the rules a bit more than appropriate, they go over the manager's head and have in the past sometimes gotten their way. So I am having to be much more in coaching mode with the supervisor and in boss mode with this group as I don't look favorably on people who shop around to get what they want. We are all adjusting.

Adjusting to doing more volunteer work that is so much like "work" and doing it only because the program gives my kids and kids like them something they love doing but it requires parent leaders behind the scenes. Don't we all do that?

Adjusting to giving up some other volunteer work that I really like (most of the time) because it takes up more time and I am starting to feel fried.

Adjusting to not being able to run, now because of all the snow in the road and on sidewalks. Adjusting to the need to really find what is missing.

Adjusting to wanting to change or undo some things that it is just too late to do.

So I feel like I am adjusting a lot. I am by no means rare. I just happen to have a blog to write about it.

2 comments:

melifo said...

Hi Jeff,
We are once again on our way to ski in the Berkshires this weekend. No kids this time. I expect we will go to that Mexican restaurant you suggested tonight. I am really looking forward to that. We are staying in the HOJO again. I feel kind of guilty not bringing the kids this time but, my daughter was sick all week and has lots of schoolwork to catch up on, and my boy didn't really feel like going so...

I haven't posted much lately either. I really think for me it's a subdued state of being, and I'm just letting it be what it is. The tide inevitably ebbs and flows- Such is life. Having said that it's also only fair to admit that it's not always easy for me. But that's just me.
Have you started xcountry skiing yet? I tried running again and couldn't make it more than 2 miles. I guess it's time to see someone about that. I will ski gently this weekend.

Hang in there,
~ Melissa

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks, hope the skiing is good.
I am in NYC this weekend on college audition visits. A totally different experience and the pace in the city so much different.

I haven't gone skiing yet. Combo of time and not enough of it and then when it is really cold I'm not as motivated.

I think this post about adjusting is all about motivation and too much to do in not enough time and then for me it becomes sensory overload. Adjusting is not bad...I am glad I have the opportunities to adjust as I know folks who have options that are much more limited.

Enjoy the weekend!
Jeff