Sunday, January 11, 2009


"It seems to be snowing a lot". I made that comment to my wife this morning to which she responded, "it really hasn't, its just seems to be bothering you more this year."

So I went back a year ago on this blog and sure enough there was lots of snow and it had been colder but there was also a January thaw about this time. I guess it is bothering me because as it seems to be snowing each weekend or a couple times a week I inevitably have to go somewhere, whether it be to drop off or pick up a kid or just to go to work.

Last weekend I got stuck trying to go up over the mountain to West Stockbidge, a two lane winding road going for about 3.5 miles then down the ridge along the other side, with a ravine on one side and ditch on the other, and 3/4 of the way up to the top, the tires just start to spin and slide. All the coaxing and rocking is getting me is sliding closer and closer to either the ditch or the ravine, neither of which is a good option. So as the snow continues to fall steadily I back down almost 3 miles of road trying not to skid, having to move out of the way as the trucks and heavier vehicles want to pass me to get on their way. May of them nicely stopping to ask if I am ok. Turning around is not an option as the only driveways are those going down the ravine to summer homes.

I've been stuck on this road before, years back coming home from Albany in another blizzard and I slid off the road and passers by pushed me back on. Its the easiest and quickest way to the other side but totally unpredictable in the winter.

So an hour later and with a very sore and stiff neck from turning it to see, I make it down to the bottom where I can finally turn around nerves somewhat shot. And then I head down a different way to a drive around this mountain to get to the town.

Then this weekend, and of course it snows and of course there is a required kid drop off for a school project, and this time I get stuck again and have to back down a very long driveway. And there was another snow storm on the way. So the nighttime pick up is tried with another car and its not so bad, though totally dark snow covered roads still is not fun when you've been stuck already that day and there is no cell service between the hills.

So what is the difference? My new tires that I have at least always thought of as new, well as I check the receipt they are actually 2 years old with 60,000 miles on them a 60,000 mile warranty. So that is why they worked last winter and the winter before and why with 30,000 more miles on them I am slipping around.

So I guess I have another project to put on the list, new tire. It seems a shame because there still is good tread just not enough for winter driving around here.

Such is life in the Berkshires.

No comments: