Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The first Snow


Driving home in the dark the temperature goes from 48 to 33 in 45 minutes. The wind picks up and the rain turns to snow.


Not even November and there is a quarter inch of the white stuff and its flying all around. Probably won't be around in the morning and least after the sun rises and things warm up a little. But its the sign of what inevitably comes.

The wind is blowing in that howling hollow sound that is so familiar and so eiry yet somewhat comforting. For it always seems like the wind is going somewhere and I try to imagine where. There are parts of the valley near where I live where I can see Mt Greylock to the north, probably 30 miles as the bird flies but looking as clear as if it were in the next town. So often I know the wind is headed there and then to whip around and head to the east.

The first snow. Familiar yet different each time.

2 comments:

melifo said...

WOW SNOW!!!
It is also very windy here on the cape (and cold) but we only got rain. I actually like the snow -at least in the beginning. The first snow is always exciting. It usually shows up late around here and rarely sticks around for long and is often very damp. We have to deal with a lot of slush too. But I really love it when it's the "right" kind with full on blizzard conditions (as long as I don't have to drive). Some may call me crazy... The silence that accompanies it is the most beautiful feeling. Oh I sure am looking forward to winter. I imagine winter is an absolutely magical time of year out by you.

- Melissa

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Yeah it was definitely snow....about an inch or more by morning. The roads and driveway were totally clear as the ground temperature hasn't dropped enough to retain the snow. Out of the Berkhsires it was as if a line was drawn from snow to absolutely no snow.

Blizzards can be fun, especially when you don't have to drive.