Saturday, September 27, 2008

Musings of sorts

In case you haven't noticed I am rather guarded about personal stuff I put out here. I know some of the people who drop by but others I do not. So If you are in the "I don't know you" category please don't be offended and don't stop coming by. We writers write to be read and don't believe anyone who says otherwise. I also tend to keep personal stuff to myself in general, so when I do share it, it is possible that this is the only place I am I sharing it.

I was thinking today how good I feel. I have been running for roughly 28 weeks and today ran almost 8 miles in an hour and a quarter. Yes its an absolute pathetic time for some but for someone who has been only moderately physically active the last 20 years, this is a major accomplishment and as I have written before, this definitely is not a flat track we are talking about. Plus I am over 25 pounds lighter and have had to go clothes shopping.

I do get discouraged because the times are slow and only improve minutely but I find I enjoy the feeling that comes from running. Yes there is a high and it is a legal and respectful on and one that is a good example for my kids. I am a morning runner as later in the day I just feel worn out from work and commuting. This past week it was so dark that I went searching at lunch for reflector tape and flashers to append to myself. Since some of the roads I run at 5AM are barely illuminated by street lights the flashers go a distance and keep the rare car at a safe distance.

Growing up this time of year was birthday time. My mom, dad and I were born on dates that are within a week. So as my birthday approaches I am reminded of my parents who died five years ago two months apart and who I no longer celebrate a birthday with. I makes me somewhat melancholy. I still get caught on the thought of the two funerals that were in quick succession, with neither being at "death's door" due to illness and then the full year of sorting through their affairs and closing things down. Yes I shared it with a sibling but there are many things you do not share. In a world where I think we all like transitions, there was none to this.

It is the beginning of a new school year and the kids are immersed in classes and new friends and lots of activities. Good Morning America came through the area in their train entourage complete with many helicopers flying over the neighborhood and area to accommodate live satelite feeds and traffic being diverted from its regular routes. Which meant the regular way to drop of the kids at school was not longer the regular way. But it worked out fine and one kid was playing in the band as the train arrived and got to see James Taylor and YoYo Ma perform on the porch of the Red Lion in. Both James and YoYo are locals so their sightings are not that unusual but the chance to see them perform together is always an experience.

The calendar gets a bit chaotic and as they advance through the teen years our role as parents clearly changes. Sometimes like traversing a mine field but most of the time just differently pleasant and I get wistful that this phase also will end too soon and things will become too quiet in the house. But I don't like to think of it.

Fall projects are on the list. The carpenter is scheduled to fix all the damage caused by the ants and at a price that is a small fraction of the first quote we got in the summer that was an amount I could have replaced a car with. The pellets are on order in hopefully will be delivered before the constant cold. All over the neighborhood white stacks on pallets are popping up every day. We started a trend.

So in general life in the Berkshires is good. Some of the tourists came back this weekend for the Apple Squeeze festival in Lenox and Latino festival in Lee. Lots of good food and something for the locals to do as well.

4 comments:

melifo said...

Nice post Jeff. Have you ever been to the Wellfleet Oysterfest? It's a great time for the whole family and the locals are a huge part of it. They transform the center of town into a huge block party for the weekend. They also have a 5k shuck and run race (I'm considering running in it, but don't know if I have enough confidence for a race yet). The weekend culminates with the shuck off finals. FUN FUN FUN!!
Melissa

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Thanks....no we have never been to the Oysterfest and it sounds like fun. Hope you will run in the 5k. You can obviously run the distance and there is some anonymity in numbers. Confidence comes from trying it out and doing it over and over.

nancyk4444 said...

Hi Jeff-

I guess I was feeling adventurous this morning - I swung over here from Caleb Potter's blog - nice to visit!!
I have long admired your lovely words to Sharyn, to Caleb, to all.
Often, I read your words and nod - feeling you have said it for me.....most often, in a more poetic and articulate manner!

Anyway - I live in Northern Westchester and have taken the not so long ride up your way many times....Lenox is charming and gorgeous....this time of year especially.....James Taylor's voice is what soothed me through my teenaged years back in the
70's...... you speak of your teenaged children, I've got 3 - and thinking of them leaving in a few years is a thought I don't like to think too often either!
I look forward to visiting your blog and reading your writing - which, as you so simply put - writers really do want!!
See you on the blog(s),

Nancy in NY

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the comment and thanks for sharing.
Jeff