Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hills



One of the physical realities of living in my part of the Berkshires is the hills. They are everywhere and even a grade that looks somewhat flat probably isn't. In a car that doesn't matter much but if you are biking or running they are always something to contend with.

When I run in the morning and run the route that goes into town I leave my driveway, run uphill a tenth of a mile, round the corner and run down a steep hill a tenth of a mile, then do another turn and run for two miles up this steady grade, which even minor, is uphill. I round the town center come back down and then meet the steep hill just before turning back into my street. Most people think its easy running down hill and it is easier, but it also requires holding yourself back from going to fast and crashing into a tree or car or just the ground.

I just finished reading "Uncommon Carriers" by John McPhee and he notes how hitting a 1-2% grade can cause a long coal train to grind to a hault and that subsequently many of the rail line grades are purposely kept very low. I thought of my long gradual uphill runs when I sometimes loose steam 3/4 of the way up.



The same can be said about biking. The up hills are brutal and the downhills can either be a rush or downright treacherous.

There are very few ways for me to avoid hills unless I drive somewhere first and then there is only limited flat grade before its uphill. Last weekend I picked this 6 mile route that is scenically beautiful and the road rolls up and down, at least in the car it rolls. At street level its a freak'n lot of up hills with not enough flat in between and I didn't seem to notice the downhill. But I consider this training and I feel relatively goood when I am done.

I do find this deceptive as I never really know how well I am doing as I still occasionally stop on some of those hills. At least when you are biking there is the satisfaction of the downhills and coasting in-between. With running you get none of that.

I have a new respect for people who run in the Berkshires, having become one. We are definitely not whimps and not scared off by a simple hill and then another and then another. Its still a fine time to be out in nature and just taking it all in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since reading this a few days ago I have been trying to notice the grade of the road as I drive. It is interesting that something that in a car seems flat isn't. I expect that even a long gradual hill is a challenge and unlike living near the coast the Berkshires has lots of hills to work with. Happy training.

Jake