Saturday, August 30, 2008

The vacation from Hell

I am usually not a complainer and sometimes when wave after wave of crap comes on I go either in the direction of wanting to cry or burst out laughing over the absurdity of the sequence. I think I've said this before, its like trying to keep dry in a downpour and then reaching a point of just giving up and letting it soak you.

This has had to be one of the worse vacations I can recall. Much of it sucked, except for one exception which deserves its own post. Starting off with a cold that has just ended, on and off through out the week I was tethered to work email sheparding IT consultants through a project that got finished at 5:30 pm Friday night. Then working on home projects it seemed that each project that I picked up became way more involved or extensive and either took 3 times as long or I threw my hands up. Then there was dealing with newly discovered carpenter ant and water damage. Listening to the contractors assessments and rough estimates rivaling a the price of a used car is alone enough to depress added to the frustration of trying to get estimates and reliable contacts had me ready to scream. To confess, when the house was empty of family I could probably be heard by neighbors an acre away screaming and cursing. A good try but it didn't work, I still feel like crap and thoughts of a hurricane, or remnants, working its way up the coast had me staring at the ceiling at 4am.

So two days left of the weekend and vacation and I'm tossing in the towel about chores. I am done. Tomorrow we get a family day in the city (Boston) and after figuring out what to do about dinner tonight I'm heading out with the kayak.

So what is the purpose of this ranting post? Well perhaps to make you feel better if you aren't dealing with stuff like this and guess-what, not all vacations in the Berkshires are great especially when you live there. They are just like your vacations at home.

Rant over, turn the page

No comments: